Friday, July 27, 2012

Raymond Myers-Kieran (Boston, Mass.)


I've been pretty consistent with using the pain gel (daily) and the pain relief capsules. I followed your regimen of loading up for the first 30days then gradually decreasing to a management dosage.  I take 2-3 capsules 2 to 3 times a day depending on how I feel.  It's been pretty amazing.  So as you know my condition (Osteonecrosis left hip) is gradually increasing in joint breakdown and the pain is pretty much a constant.  I have my next appointment in June (although I have already contact my GP about finding a new/better surgeon).  I have good days and some not so good days as far as the level of pain.  As the pain increases I adjust the pain relief as I need it.  I'm so grateful for these capsules.  I've never in my life been able to find anything that will help me manage pain that I've been able to take. Most of the pain medications available cause an allergic reaction for me so I can’t take them and of course the NSAIDS, which are used to treat joint/arthritis issues actually CAUSE MY BONE DISEASE and my current surgeon could only think to offer that as a way of relieving my pain…a little counter-intuitive I think…

Early last year before I found Livinity, or rather before Livinity found me, I had part of my colon removed - a small part - and I also had to have the lining of my intestinal wall repaired as it has prolapsed (I’ve since discovered that the concern was progression to necrotic tissue and gangrene…of part of my colon…geesh).  Very painful indeed...  I distinctly remember waking a couple of times during the surgery I do no matter the surgery (and if you can imagine for this reason mostly I'm really not a fan of surgery...who wants to wake up during!).  I was told that I had a high functioning liver and anesthesia processed through my system faster...I don't know how valid this is but I do know that my mom had the same issue with surgery as I and my brother does as well. Once my colon surgery was over I was given a very strong painkiller. About the nicest thing I could say is that I was sick all the time on it...so sick in fact that I opted to not take them one day (foolishly) and was overwhelmed with the amount of pain I experienced.  I hurt so badly but I would rather be in that pain than go through the illness I felt from the prescription meds.  Even though my chart and records list my allergies to certain drugs, there is only so much that can be done medically without crossing that line.  So once the diagnosis came for my hip, I knew right away that I would plan to live with the pain however much I experienced because I would not take painkillers...I've never liked them anyway. 

Well, long story short along comes Livinity and these products and after meeting our medical director and getting a better understanding of what I take and how I take them, I am in such a better place.  It's funny now because when I don't go to my Mixed Martial Arts training my roommates make fun of me, teasing me about wimping out and using my leg as an excuse.  The pain program you've put together has so changed my life that I can joke about being hurt. Even in the midst of facing a hip replacement surgery.  I can still go out and train almost as hard as before...the issue for me isn't pain (I still hurt because it's a bone disease but it's by no means debilitating). I know that the time will come where I will need to have the joint replaced, I'm prepared for that...I still hope that day is a looong way off but I do know it's a reality of my disease.  I am eternally grateful to you, though, because without the Livinity products, I would be in such a dark place emotionally.  I'm a young guy and martial arts have been a part of my life for 22 years.  I dreaded the thought of being so stricken with pain that I couldn't get out and do what I love...I no longer have that worry.  My quality of life has not been compromised because of pain.  I will use these products forever…I will appreciate being able to work with Dr. Harris, the medical director of Livinity for pre-op and post-op (probably sometime this summer or early fall I’m looking at surgery) so that I can manage recovery through my Livinity products.  I feel so lucky this came into my life

Raymond from Boston!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment